COVID-19 Service Updates
METRO resumes a regular full service schedule on August 30, 2020.
Transit Partner - Updates:
- Biddeford Saco Old Orchard Beach Transit
- South Portland Bus Service
- Casco Bay Lines
- Amtrak Downeaster
The new electronic fare system planned to start in April for Greater Portland METRO; Bideford Saco Old Orchard Beach Transit (BSOOB Transit); and South Portland Bus Service was delayed.
The new safer and contactless system will launch on October 1, 2020.
Link to more information - HERE
Call for information at - 833-272-7270
METRO began taking actions to reduce the spread of the virus back in mid-March.
Since that time, there have been several updates and safety measures put in place.
- Passengers are asked to use the rear door for boarding and alighting. For those who need the ramp to board the bus, request the ramp and use the front door to board the bus.
- All trips are one way trips. No continuous riding. (Regular Policy Reminder)
- Rear door boarding and alighting except for passengers needing assistance.
- All passengers are required to wear a face covering when they board and ride METRO buses.
METRO has enhanced our cleaning and other efforts by:
- Implementing enhanced twice daily cleaning and disinfectant procedures for METRO’s buses and facilities with specific attention paid to "high contact surfaces."
- Removing hanging hand straps from all buses as these are more porous and harder to clean.
- Distributing information and guidance to employees and passengers to promote personal hygiene, social distancing and education on risk factors.
- Closely monitoring the situation nationally and in Maine and is coordinating with local, state and federal partners as needs.
General recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Practice social distancing by keeping 6 feet away from other passengers.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or use a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Carry alcohol-based hand sanitizer with you and use often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick (and during stay at home Executive Order)
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- If you’re experiencing symptoms and have traveled to areas of concern (or have been in contact with someone who has), call ahead to your health-care provider before you go in in person.
This information will be updated as the situation warrants.
Face Coverings - Information and Instruction on to make them:
POSTER - Requirement to wear a face covering, translated into the five languages listed above.
CDC Recommendation on Face Coverings, with simple instructions on making a one.
CDC instructions on wearing a face covering, with sewing instructions.
Making a mask using a t-shirt.