To help keep our bus operators and passengers safe during the COVID-19 pandemic,
METRO has implemented several policies and safety procedures.
Updated June 4, 2020
The number of passengers allowed on METRO buses has been updated to allow no more than 20 passengers.
Riders should keep a distance of at least six feet between themselves and other riders and only sit with passengers they are travelling with
METRO has implemented several policies and safety procedures to help keep our bus operators and passengers safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic, including:
- METRO reduced service to Saturday service schedules (M-SA) and suspended fares, effective March 20, 2020 until further notice.
- Face Masks/Face Coverings
METRO bus operators and passengers are required to wear either a face mask or face covering to board and ride a Metro bus.
Face coverings must cover the mouth and nose and be worn for the duration of the ride. (eff. 4.22.2020)
(Governor Mills Exec Order, issued 4.28.2020,requires that Maine people wear cloth face coverings in public settings where physical distancing measures are difficult to maintain, ")
Exceptions: Children under two years of age or persons with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing a face covering.
Links to additional information:
BACKGROUND INFO: on the importance of wearing a face covering and directions on how to make your own.
Poster (11" x 14"): Requirement to wear a face covering while riding METRO (translated into five languages) - DOWNLOAD
- Essential Travel
Through (at least) May 31, 2020, use of public transportation is permissible only for the essential purposes.
(Outlines in Gov. Mills 3.31.2020 Exec Order and Stage 1 of the Gov. Restarting Maine Economy Plan.")
- Rear Door Boarding
Passengers are required to use the rear door for boarding and alighting.
Front door and ramp requests will be allowed.
- Passenger Capacity
The number of passengers on the bus is limited to 20 at a time (updated 6.4.2020)
- All trips are one-way trips.
No continuous riding. (This is a standard policy)
- Passenger Policies
METRO riders are reminded to follow standard METRO Passenger Policies (eff - Aug 2018) and the following updated rules:
-- Passengers should maintain at least SIX FEET of physical distance between themselves and other passengers
(unless they are part of a family or small group travelling together)
-- Passengers must maintain at least SIX FEET of physical distance between themselves and the bus operator, unless they require ADA assistance.
-- Passengers must practice safe personal hygiene while on the bus
For the latest on our efforts and an opportunity for questions, please check back for updates and visit our Facebook page.
- Saturday schedules for all METRO routes and updated information on our schedules, including detours and changes.
- Updates on current service from other regional service providers and partners.
- A list of policies and procedures, translated into several languages, for our passengers.
- Directions on how to make your own face covering.
- Actions that METRO has taken to protect our employees and our riders.
- Additional METRO updates, resources, and information.