METRO FARE POLICY CHANGES
New fare policies were approved by the METRO Board of Directors on May 23, 2019.
Implementation of new systems, listed below, are scheduled to start April 1, 2020.
TIMELINE WITH UPDATED INFORMATION REGARDING FARE CHANGES:
- March 31, 2020 - Last day paper passes/tickets stamped to expire 12/31/19, 3/31/20, or unstamped tickets will be accepted.
- April 1, 2020 - Fare Increase takes effect (see fare pricing)
ONLY paper tickets stamped ’Expires 6/30/20" accepted through June 30, 2020.
- April 1 - April 30, 2020 - Paper passes/tickets sold at increased price.
- May 1, 2020 - Paper tickets are no longer sold.
- July 1, 2020 - Full adoption of Electronic Fare System
Paper tickets no longer accepted; Paper transfers no longer issued or accepted.
Introducing Electronic Fare Options - Smartcards and Mobile App
- Smart card and mobile app. fare payment options will replace paper-based paper and tickets.
Please note update above
- Cash (exact change) will still be accepted on board buses.
- Introduction of Reduced Fare Options for Seniors (65+); Persons with Disabilities; and Youth riders (ages 6-18)
- Introduction of Rewards Program--pay-as-you go pricing ( Fare Capping).
Riders on METRO and South Portland Bus Service* with smart cards/mobile ticketing will never pay more that $6/day and $60/month for local service.
- Smartcards will be available at at the METRO Pulse at Elm Street, and additional locations throughout our service area. Check back for list.
- NEW PASS -- allows unlimited trips for 90 minutes (paper transfers will be eliminated)
- Fare increase
One-way fare regular fare from $1.50 to $2.00 and reduced fare from .75 to $1.00.
METRO BREEZ one-way regular fare from $3 to $4 and reduced fare from $1.50 to $2.00
Link to listing of fare prices effective April 1, 2020
*METRO staff is working with South Portland Bus Service and Biddeford Saco Old Orchard Beach Transit to coordinate fare policy changes.
Link to additional info.