How do I get a new parking pass?

If you currently have a parking pass and have lost it, or need to update vehicle information, email Lauren Shaw at , 774-0351, ext. 10 or 517-3020, and she can print you a new one. If you would like to request a parking pass for the first time, access the form here and submit it to Lauren.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I get a reimbursement form for purchases, allowances, or travel?
2. How do I access past pay stubs?
3. How do I access Employee Self-Service (ESS)?
4. How do I get a new parking pass?
5. What do I do if I have lost my employee ID badge?
6. I lost money in the vending machine - how do I get it back?